Victims of DUI accidents may file civil claims against establishments in some cases:
Innocent people who are involved in a DUI related accident are protected by statutes which may allow victims to file a civil lawsuit against those who profited from the drunk driver.
Florida Statute 768.125 (Liability for injury or damage resulting from intoxication) states that:
A person who sells or furnishes alcoholic beverages to a person of lawful drinking age shall not thereby become liable for injury or damage caused by or resulting from the intoxication of such person, except that a person who willfully and unlawfully sells or furnishes alcoholic beverages to a person who is not of lawful drinking age or who knowingly serves a person habitually addicted to the use of any or all alcoholic beverages may become liable for injury or damage caused by or resulting from the intoxication of such minor or person.
• It must be proven with sufficient evidence that the driver was a known drunk driver, served while visibly impaired and etc. - proof of them having 1-2 drinks is not likely enough.
• This law applies to drinks sold and consumed immediately at such premesis. A store or business selling a 12-pack or a bottle of wine to go would generally be excluded.
• If drinks have been sold to someone under legal drinking age, they are absolutely liable for any accident caused by the drunk driver.
Florida bars, restaurants, hotels, nightclubs, liquor stores, and other businesses or establishments that profit from sales of alcoholic drinks and beverages can be held legally responsible for damages caused by a drunk driving accident in some situations.
The complex issues involved in these types of claims are another strong reason why anyone involved in any type of accident involving a personal injury should immediately contact an experienced personal injury lawyer right away.
We put multiple attorneys on your case in order to give it the extra attention it deserves.
Having an experienced auto accident lawyer can help victims negotiate better settlements for injured victims going up against insurance companies.
At Fernandez Law Group, you are choosing a Tampa personal injury lawyer with an in-depth understanding of exactly how to get you the compensation you deserve. If you have experienced loss due to a serious Florida injury, contact Fernandez Law Group to speak with a knowledgeable Tampa personal injury attorney today.
Resources and Information on Personal Injury and our Personal Injury Lawyers:
- Fernandez Law Group Personal Injury Settlements and Results
- General Information about Personal Injury and Compensation
- What to do (and not to do) if you're in an accident involving Personal Injury
- How Important is a Personal Injury Lawyer?
- 5 Reasons Why You Need a Personal Injury Attorney
- Myths and Misconceptions about Personal Injury and Personal Injury Law
- Understanding Negligence and Personal Injury Law
- Proving Negligence in Tampa Personal Injury Cases
- How to prepare for your personal injury litigation and deposition questions
- What to Expect in a Personal Injury Trial
- Common types of Personal Injury Claims in Tampa
- Tips for preparing your medical malpractice claim
- Will my personal injury case be settled out of court?
- How Social Media Posts can hurt your Personal Injury case
- Victims of DUI accidents may file civil claims against establishments in some cases
- Florida Personal Injury Laws related to Auto Accidents involving injury